Saturday, June 29, 2013

Making arcade cabinet impulse responses.

Here are a few pictures we took while capturing impulse responses for chipcrusher in late 2011...
Sorry for the mess, our office is a perpetual hardware dismantling lair.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

GBA SP Speaker Impulse Response



Looks fun? This is what I did for each and every speaker impulse in chipcrusher's Post Processing section.

The goal is to capture not only the frequency response of the speaker itself, but also the effect of its casing and internal components: resonance, cancellations etc.

Its thus very important to make sure to properly close the unit (which can be complicated by the tight confined space) with your soldered speaker leads dandling out without changing the tonal balance of the unit.

A few carefully created test tones are then 'injected' through the leads and recorded with one or more microphones in a mostly anechoic space at a few inches from the device. 

Next the recordings are processed with custom software.

Once thats done, and we are sure the recorded IR data is valid, we need to do the inverse: reopen, unsolder,
close and make sure it works. While the microphones are set up I usually also record native console sounds (games or test code), through that same setup, for later comparison.

Luckily no unit were destroyed, and everything worked just like it did before.

(But you can imagine the stack of devices that I have in the office and in my basement)... there is a psychological condition for that, and also a TV show about it.... Rest assured I ONLY keep tech stuff. :)